Saturday October 18th
THIS SATURDAY (10:00 am-2:00 pm) – Second-Time-Around Fundraiser. Gather your extra clothes, shoes, accessories, tools, and sporting goods and exchange them for something new. Bring 5-10 items and exchange them for 5-10 new items. It is a great way to do your fall cleaning, your fall shopping, and support Unity of the Valley too! A $5 donation is requested at the door, and bring a little extra for the bake sale!) – Second-Time-Around Fundraiser. Gather your extra clothes, shoes, accessories, tools, and sporting goods and exchange them for something new. Bring 5-10 items and exchange them for 5-10 new items. It is a great way to do your fall cleaning, your fall shopping, and support Unity of the Valley too! A $5 donation is requested at the door, and bring a little extra for the bake sale!
Sunday, October 19th
10:30 am Service – As our 7-week series continues, The Elder Council will be speaking on the topic of Growing Older Gracefully. Silent meditation from 10:00-10:20 am. After-Service Discussion Group from 12 noon-12:45 pm.
A Message fromYour Ministerial Team
A SUNSET TO CELEBRATE
Three common sayings about growing older:
1. You’re only as old as you feel.
2. Growing older isn’t for sissies.
3. I don’t know what to say. I’ve never been this old before.
And then, from a gentleman sitting on the side of a brick planter at Fifth Street Market: ’The Golden Years’ lured a lot of us into thinking there was truth in that statement so we fell for it. I’ve got gold in my teeth, none in my pocket. But in my head, where I live a lot now, there is so much that blesses me.
For many of us, the realization that we are now “older” has brought with it the big question, “When did this happen? It sure snuck up on me.” And, from the musical Fiddler On The Roof – “Sunrise, sunset, swiftly flow the years. I don’t remember getting older. When did she (they)?”
Yet, there is so much beauty in the later years of life. Releasing of the “doing” and easing into the “beingness” of life. Renewal of old friendships, watching grandchildren grow, laughing at the adventures of younger years and all the foibles and craziness, and the silliness of all we thought was the real stuff of life. “Do you remember when…?”
Followed by hours of laughter at ourselves. Photo albums, love, births, travels – and then the quiet reconnection to the Spirit of the Holy that has been part of our experience and is now intensifying in its all embracing presence.
This Sunday, our beloved, and very active, Elder Council will share with us their thoughts on “Growing Older Gracefully.” What a treat to be included in their sharing of the wisdom gleaned from their collective lives, as they exemplify the richness of all that is present in this moment of time.
With much respect, and a heart full of gratitude, I will be there, and I invite you to join us.
In loving service,
Next Week, October 20th - October 25th
Monday (7:00-9:00 pm) – Unity Open Men’s Circle meets in the Fellowship Hall. This group is open to all men within our church community and our larger Eugene community. For more information, contact Raymond Albano at 541-344-0727 or John Freshwater at 541-895-3214
Tuesday (6:30 pm) - Board Meeting in the Garden Room. All are welcome to attend. If you would like to speak at the meeting, please contact John Freshwater at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday (7:00-9:00 pm) - The Friday Night Connection presents guest speaker Dr. Jane Katra. She will speak on "Higher Consciousness, Subtle Perception and Healing Energy: Becoming the New Human." Love Offering basis.
- 10:00 am-Noon – A New Attitude: Living Healthy, Slim, and Trim. Join Florence Vollstedt in the Fillmore Wing for a fun and informative workshop on remembering what works! This fun and inspirational workshop will bring back the magic of changing your thoughts, changing your life the fun and easy way using Unity spiritual principles. Donation basis. For more information, contact Florence at 541-345-2726.
- 6:00-9:00 pm – Reiki Do Satori Open House. This monthly event is open to all who are interested in receiving a short, free Reiki session for relaxation and/or healing. Reiki practitioners who would like to be part of this event are also welcome. Donations accepted.
Next Sunday October 26th
10:30 am Service – Our 7-week series on The Way of the Mystics continues with Jon Westspeaking on "Bede Griffiths: Integrating Eastern and Western Spirituality."
- Before and After the Service – Galilean Pumpkin Sale in the Fellowship Hall. Proceeds will go towards providing Thanksgiving Dinners for two families in transition at the First Place Family Center
- 1:00-4:00 pm – Dr. Jane Katra will hold a follow-up workshop on Friday’s presentation onHigher Consciousness, Subtle Perception and Healing Energy: Becoming the New Human. Cost: $20 at the door.
Tuesdays, October 28-November 18 (7:30-9:00 pm) – The Emergence of Energy Consciousness: Bringing Forth Our Evolutionary Calling. Join Dr. Jane Katra in the Fillmore Wing as she assists participants in illuminating and transcending ordinary mind, becoming conscious transmitters of life-giving energy, and more. Cost for the four-week series $25.
Sunday, November 2 – Congregational Potluck after the service. Unity is starting the ALL NEW Congregational Potluck Sunday on the first Sunday of each month. November 2nd will be our first one. Bring your favorite dish to share, and invite your family and friends to join us.
UnityCircles: (See our video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueceU1IPw0I. The power of small, heart-centered groups in healing lives and building dreams has been shown many times. To participate in or help start a Unity Circle, sign-up in the Fellowship Hall or email@example.com.
Visit Unity’s Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/unityofthevalley.